Thursday, September 13, 2012

     In Peter Elbow's article, "Voice in Writing Again: Embracing Contraries," he explains that the voice is the true self and rhetorical power.  The goal of teaching writing is to develop the self.  Every student has their own voice of writing.  It is the way an individual writes from their own personal thoughts and how they understand ideas and facts.  There are always differences between people on what information they take away from an article or something they have read.  With this being said, he states that if a person wants to be heard they "sing the limited notes," but if you sing other notes you will not be heard.  I believe he is using this as an example of writing a research paper.  With practice people can learn to write papers that have "voice" or "sound like a person."  When a paper is constructed in this form, it is easier to grasp, because it is almost as if you are having a conversation with the writer. 

COMPARE TWO ARTICLES
     The reading I would compare to Peter Elbow's article would be John Berger's article, "Ways of Seeing."  I would put these both into the same category, because I feel like they both have the example of voices inside your head.  Peter Elbow has the voice of reason inside your head as you are writing.  John Berger talks about women consciously self surveying themselves.  Elbow talks about the writing out of note that nobody will listen, and the writing in the correct notes that people will listen.  Berger talks about if women keep a charismatic attitude and carry themselves well, men will pay attention, yet if women carry themselves poorly and do not treat themselves with worth, men will overlook them completely. 

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
1.) When I listen to a passage rather than reading it silently I can sometimes grasp it better.  It depends on the topic I am reading.  If the topic is something I am interested in then I will stay focused on listening.  If the topic is something I am not so interested in, than I will more than likely wonder off.  If I read something to myself silently it is easier for me to understand, because I am making a personal connection reading it to myself.  I am then forced to pay attention to whatever it is that I am reading at the time.  "Ear training" has effected me in the past from classes that involved lectures.  Like I said, if I am not interested in the lecture, then I will not be interested to pay attention.  There really is no advice that can be given for this, besides if you are not interested try to base the lecture on something more personal to yourself that way it fits in with your lifestyle and you will pay closer attention.

2.) I believe Peter Elbow is playing his own "doubting and believing" game, because I feel like he is questioning either the reader of his article or himself to bring more ideas out of his writing.  I think he is unsure of the two of which would be easier for a person to comprehend is by the "silent voice" or the "spoken voice."

      This article did not so much stand out to me as other articles I have read before.  I did think certain parts of it were interesting, and it did make me realize a few things.  After starting to read about the voice, I noticed in my head while I was reading it is almost like a voice explaining the words to me.  It is my own voice, but I almost read aloud what I am typing or reading to myself as I do it.  Everyone does this, and just does not realize when they are doing it.  If you take a second to start reading something, it is very odd to stop and re-read thinking of yourself reading it aloud.  You start to notice a voice in your head repeating the words to you as you scan across the paper.  This might not be the best way to explain, but it is a hard concept I just realized with myself.  Another point I did find interesting was when he tells the future writers if you do not write and stick to one point of your writing you will lose readers, yet if you stick to the writings you are supposed to you will keep the readers paying attention.

     Out of the three articles I read, I most enjoyed Steven King's article, "What Writing Is."  It is so easy for me to read, because he starts out talking to you about how his week is going, and what happened.  How his son came home early from college, yet his wife is sick with a virus.  It makes you feel like you are present to when he is reading.  The funny thing is he is writing this article in the winter of 1997.  He is trying to explain telepathy to the reader, and he does this very well.  He explains different things to the reader, a rabbit, cage, and a cloth, and the number eight.  He talks about other things and at the end he tells you that we basically all have the same image, even if it is twenty years later that we are all imagining the same thing.  The only difference might be the shade of the red cloth, or the fur of the rabbit, but no matter what we all remembered the same number eight.  It was not any other number, just the number eight, and that is because it is a specific number.  He went into detail of there being only one number eight.  He explains that writing is business, and if the person can not get down to business they should just leave the reading now, and amusingly tells us to try washing a car.

1 comment:

  1. Good response, Blair. I like the definition of voice that you offer in your summary. Also I agree that the King article is one of the most accessible readings in the course.

    ReplyDelete