Tuesday, October 23, 2012

BEFORE YOU READ
Typing in, "what is 'mushfake' on google, I kept coming up with the same answer from ChaCha and the Urban dictionary, there was no specific definition.
     Mushfake- prison slang for items owned by an inmate that may be legal to buy, but 
                       were obtained through illegal means.
OR   Mushfake- making due with something less than the real thing that is not available.

     In James Paul Gee's article, "Literacy, Discourse, and Linguistic: Introduction", he talks about the different discourse's.  These are the primary, secondary, dominant, and non-dominant discourse.  He explains ways of talking about literacy and linguistics, and the differences between the lowercase and capital 'D' in discourse.  Gee explains that within the writings, it is not the language or grammar that is important, but the writing itself.  He uses the word mushfake, meaning readers can make do with what they have or are given, what is available to them.  Discourse gives people instructions on how to talk, act, and write.  He is basically saying, we need to give people what they expect.  As an example, he uses an interview with two women.  The women who gives the answers that are more likely to be expected will probably do better at the interview, possibly because she seems to be more honest.  Also, it could be for the reasoning that she is more comfortable in certain situations, and knows how to handle them in the type of situation she would be placed in, or the type of area she is in general.

QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION
3) He places discourse in four different categories; primary, secondary, dominant, and non-dominant discourse.  He explains that the difference between the capital and lowercase d in discourse.  The capital 'D' is what is important is not language or grammar, but saying (writing)-doing-being-valuing-believing combinations.  Discourse with a little 'd', means connected stretches on language that make sense, so "discourse" is part of "Discourse." 

13) I want to be part of the discourse community as an Ohio University Alumni.  I know I will eventually become part of this, but it is something I will need to work towards.  I would be an apprentice to this in the future, but for now I have not yet graduated yet.  The hardest thing about learning to be apart of a discourse, is to learn all of their shared values, goals, etc.  The people that aid me the most in becoming an Ohio University Alumni are probably the advisers of Ohio University that help me schedule classes, get tutoring if needed, and let me know about upcoming activities for my major.  I wouldn't say that I feel like a "pretender."


COMPARE
     If I had to compare this article with another reading I have read this semester, it would have to be John Swales' article, "The Concept of Discourse Community," because they both discuss discourse communities.  Like Gee explaining the four different categories, Swales uses six characteristics to explain his writings to the reader.  


     Overall, this was not my favorite article to read.  It did not stand out to me as much as other ones had before.  I did like how he explains the differences between 'discourse,' and 'Discourse.'  It made a lot of sense to me after I read how he put them into the four different categories of primary, secondary, dominant, and non-dominant discourse.  Another thing that helped me to understand, was when he used the two women as an example while they were getting interviewed. 



2 comments:

  1. Good response, Blair. I'm glad to see you latching onto some important key terms from this reading (e.g., primary Discourse, secondary, dominant, etc.). Understanding this vocabulary will help you in our class discussion tomorrow and perhaps in writing Project #3 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks!!! I couldn't find the definition anywhere.

    ReplyDelete